How is my money invested?
Your money is invested in one of 5 portfolio options ranging from very conservative to very aggressive. All of UNest’s portfolios options offer invest in low cost investments (ETFs). To see which of the portfolios you’re currently in (and the specific investments):
- Open the UNest app and log in to your account
- Tap on the account from the Home screen
- Tap on the “Asset Allocation” button.
From there you can learn about your current portfolio or select a new option.
What investment options are available?
There are 5 investment options available to UNest investors, ranging from very conservative to very aggressive:
- Fixed Income. This is the most conservative option available. Your money is invested entirely in Money Market and Fixed Income instruments in order to minimize risk and volatility.
- 3 Age-Based Portfolios. There are three age-based portfolios (conservative, moderate, aggressive). Each of these portfolios includes a mix of fixed income and equity investments which shift the investment mix (what’s called rebalancing) from more aggressive to more conservative investments as the account beneficiary gets closer to college age. The goal is to maximize growth at a young age and gradually reduce risk of volatility in the account as they get closer to the time you’ll likely withdraw the money.
- Vanguard ETFs (100% Equities). This is the most aggressive investment option UNest offers. 100% of the funds are invested in equities, regardless of the age of the beneficiary.
Can I invest in a Vanguard ETF?
Yes. UNest offers a portfolio that contains only Vanguard ETFs. To select this option in the UNest app:
- Tap on the account from the UNest Home screen
- Tap on the “Asset Allocation” button
- Tap the “Change Portfolio” button at the bottom of the screen
- Go to the right-most portfolio option (“Vanguard ETFs”) and tap “Select”
Can I create a custom investment portfolio in my account?
If you have specific investment objectives that aren’t met by one of the 5 standard portfolios, please contact email@example.com to discuss your needs.